Meatballs and Spaghetti Squash
- 1 (3 lb) Spaghetti Squash, halved lengthwise and seeded •
- 1 ½ lbs ground grass-fed beef
- 1 ½ lbs ground pork
- ½ medium onion, grated (aprox. ¼ cup)
- 1 egg • 3 garlic cloves, minced
- ¼ cup fresh parsley, chopped
- ½ tsp dried basil
- ¼ tsp dried oregano
- ¼ tsp dried thyme
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil + more for coating 4
- 44 oz of good quality tomato sauce • Sea salt & freshly ground black pepper to taste
1. Preheat the oven to 350 F.
2. Lightly coat the inside and edges of the spaghetti squash halves with olive oil.
3. Place the spaghetti squash cut side down on a baking sheet and bake for 30-40 minutes in the preheated oven.
4. Once cooked, remove the squash from the oven and set it aside to let cool.
5. Use a fork or spoon to pull away the stringy flesh from the squash.
6. While the squash is cooking, in a large bowl gently combine the ground beef and pork with all of the remaining ingredients except the tomato sauce & olive oil. Be very careful to not over mix.
7. Form 36, 1 oz meatballs (about 2 tablespoons).
8. Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a large skillet (one large enough to fit the meatballs) over medium-high heat. If needed cook in 2 skillets or in batches.
9. Once hot, add the meatballs and reduce to medium heat, occasionally turn the meatballs until they are fully browned.
10. Carefully pour in the tomato sauce stirring to coat the meatballs.
11. Bring the sauce to a simmer, cover and cook meatballs until cooked through, about an additional 10 minutes.
12. Serve the sauce and meatballs over the squash. (serving size 4 meatballs per person)